2 potatoes medium, cubed
1 cauliflower medium
1 onion medium, chopped
2 tomatoes medium, chopped
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 teaspoons ginger-garlic paste*
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
3-4 teaspoons oil
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
salt to taste
- Heat 2 teaspoon of oil on medium heat and add cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Add the onions and cook for 2 minutes till translucent.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and cook for another 2 minutes or till the raw smell goes away.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes till they are little soft.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, and coriander powder.
- Cover the pan and let the masala cook for 2-3 minutes and then add the potatoes and cauliflower florets and 1/2 cup water and cook until tender.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and give a good mix.
- Add garam masala and cook the potato and cauliflower on medium-low heat for 5-6 minutes.
- Add salt and cover the pan and cook more additional 6-7 minutes on low flame or till the potato and cauliflower are tender but not soggy. If you feel the masala is sticking, you may add some water. Add 1 tablespoon at a time and only add enough to cook the veggies. I did not add any water in mine.
- Garnish with some more coriander leaves and serve hot with any Indian bread.
1/2 cup cloves garlic, whole
1/2 cup fresh ginger, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1/4 cup oil
Throw the garlic, ginger, and oil in a blender or mini-food processor and let it go until it forms a semi-smooth paste. There will still be tiny little pieces in there, but overall, it should resemble a paste.